Sunday, June 22, 2008

Storms over Wisconsin

As you know, we've been hammered by bad weather for the past few weeks. As David and I were hurrying to weatherproof the outside cellar door with a large canvas after the basement had flooded, this storm approached. Sara snapped a number of pictures but these three best show its progression over our farm. Although it looked quite ominous we only received a good soaking from it- including the basement again.

Turned out the gutters were stuffed with helicopters from our maple out front which channeled the rain over the eaves where it soaked into the basement rather than down the drain spouts.

It wasn't until a storm the following evening that we discovered this so David cleaned them out in his underwear, in the rain, while the lightning flashed. Better to be fried by a gazillion volts than pitch out the basement with five gallon pails for the third time. Sorry, no photos of that. Classic though they might have been I wasn't willing to risk my life, and my camera, to get them.






























5 comments:

Aubreydoll said...

Oh my gosh, what a storm!!! Those pictures are amazing! I'm glad that nothing too bad happened because it looks like it could've done a LOT of damage!

J.C. Carlson said...

Those are the most fantastic clouds I have ever seen! I'm going to print them out and frame them! I'm glad the storm didn't do the damage it looks like it was capable of!!

We are also rather dissappointed that you have no pics of David cleaning out the gutters. They would have been priceless!

PearTheSquare said...

Gammie dear, when David came back in the house in his soaked and therefore see-through tighty whitey's, you just may have had a different opinion!

Aubreydoll said...

Ahhh! Mental image, mental image!

J.C. Carlson said...

Alright, now I do have a different opinion ...